fitting stained glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1930's semi which has a glazed front door and 2 side pannels, the stained glass arrived yesterday along with glazing bars but now I need to work out how to fit it.

the 2 side pannels are long rectangles and the door is a large square, how do i fit this?

my assumption is a bit of putty round the edge, place glass in hole bit of putty again the nail a pretty strip of wood edging to the other side, with the glazing bars i assume I drill 2 holes close to the the glass will sit and then glue them in place after the glass is in and tie the wire grips around the rod.

my worry is that its a front door, I want to do a good job so it is really secure if the wind blows and closes it. the door is behind a secure porch door.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Not much point using putty if you have an enclosed porch unless you're proficient at using it, the only benefit of putty is its weathertightness. If your apertures are recessed use silicone to hold the pane to the door and quadrant moulding or similar on the inside, finished to suit. If they are straight through then fix beading to the outer edge first. The silicone will allow some movement to lessen the shock of a slamming door and it's probably easier to make a tidier job of it diy than using putty.

Thank you for your help this makes sense, just to clarify what do you mean about the "if they are straight through" does this refer to the glazing bars, if so is it just a case of drilling the door to fit them?

They're probably recessed anyway but if not then you need to install a means of retaining the pane in the aperture using beading etc. on the external as well as the internal side. A 1mm pilot hole for your pins will be ok, pop the heads below the surface, fill and sand.

Sponsored Links
yes, ther door is recessed on the outside, I was planning on adding the bars behind the glass in the recess so they are pushing the glass in rather than pulling, the only issue i could see here is that I would have to have a gap in the edging if I do this as the bars are about 7-10mm in diamiter.

I think I have myself in a bit of a muddle, (am I correct) the glasing bars go across the window left to right, they then just rest in the recess that the window sits in rather than locating like dowels into the wall of the recess. ?

sorry for so many questions but i can find nothing online to help not even pictures

make sure if your using silicone that its a paintable version.
nothing worse then using it and then trying to paint up to the edge and it wont take any paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back