Building regs relating to a front door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 1930's semi, fairly common design with an archway into an open porch and the front door set back by a few foot.

The existing door is quite nice, but is starting to rot in places, the stained glass is cracked and it's ridiculously draughty despite draught proofing measures

5610_261099910713_508545713_8590880.jpg

As far as I see it we have three options.

1. Pay a skilled craftsman to strip, remove rot, replace glazing with double glazed pannels of the same design. May be expensive.

2. Fit a similar style door but in upvc, downside is french upvc doors tend to look sh!t and bulky.

3. Have a upvc door set into the archway and remove the existing one, however I don't know if this will give issues with regards to building regs, all our neighbours have done the third option.

Any thoughts? or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Personally that door is a very nice feature, If it were me I'd put a upvc door in the outer archway and leave the current door to make a little porchway to leave shoe/boots etc inside but out of sight. That's if there's space for a door to open inwards from the arch.

Don't think you'd have any problems regarding building regs, there only a quick phone call away and pretty helpful to check or just ask a neighbour.

Gobz

This is the problem with fitting an external door into the arch, there is not enough room to have an inwards opening door, most of the neighbours have outward opening doors and have retained the original, it just looks bizzare.

1/ Dont waste your money trying to repair, they may still end up being draughty, also you'll be limited in the thickness of DG unit you can fit in the frame ie: frames not thick enough itself to accomodate a decent unit.

2/ Is an option, ask to see specifically a french door frame in the companies showroom and then decide.

3/ Is another option but as stated above if theres is a step in the floor after removing the exsisting wooden door then your new pvc door will not open inwards enough so will need to open out, unless you split the outer door into 2 little french doors (they'll be smaller and take up less room opening inwards) not a problem manufacturing it that way but they always look odd with the hinges outside, but again go see some and decide

:D

Sponsored Links
option 4

fit a new timber door, plus side panel plus possibly frame.

The one you have got does not look at all strong, though I agree it looks a nice feature

it may end up costing less than a plastic door and frame, they are ridiculously expensive for an ugly, insecure monstrosity.

most of the neighbours have outward opening doors and have retained the original, it just looks bizzare.
I'm surprised that's allowed for reasons of pedestrian safety :confused: .

Option 3 should not give you any problems with regard to BR's as long as it's an external grade door & has safety glass fitted to requirements but a phone call would be advisable.

If you just replace the existing door & frame, again, it must have safety glass where required & be external grade.

Would guess there's a path or driveway to the house as they cant be opening straight out on to the public footpath.

Yeah, all houses have driveways, however flinging a door outwards whenever someine knocks doesnt seem natural at all!

JohnD - Yep, the door isn't at all strong, though I wouldn't expect someone to break in via the front door, it's pretty much just the two deadbolts securing the lot.

If I was to replace the door it would have to be a replica with modern glazing, i've talked to a local joiner today who made the right kind of noises, just need him to price it.

For what it's worth I did get a quote for a similar upvc door a while back, came in at £1600.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back