Porch door and front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Inspired by this thread https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/upvc-front-door-refresh.524923/

I wondered if I could get some help with our porch door and front door please?

The porch was added on after the house was built but before we moved in, it has a pretty standard upvc door which has seen better days (silicone sealant around the glazed section etc.) and basically we don't really like the design much. So inspired by the other thread I wondered if we could replicate what was done there and replace the centre panel leaving the frame etc. in place ?

Secondly, what was the original front outside door before the addition of the porch is generally ok for now but we don't like the glazing in it. The door seems to be some early version of a composite construction and the glazing units are held in place with plastic beading but I am guessing not the standard snap-in beading found on new doors due to the small studs you can see on the internal part of the beading. Would these be removed to allow the internal beading to be taken out and could we then simply replace the glazed units with ones of our choice and replace the beading?

Thanks, pictures follow.

Attachments

• IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG
    510 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1421.JPG
    IMG_1421.JPG
    413.2 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    365.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1423.JPG
    IMG_1423.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
Door panel is a pretty easy replacement.
Your nearest Eurocell store will probably be the assisted place to buy one without a trade account.
2 things to watch though
1. Take the panel out first to check the thickness (probably 28 or 24mm thick)
2. Ideally you want to know the make of door to get the correct shade of white (every make is different). Eurocell may be able to lend you a swatch to check

The other door yes pretty much as you said. Can be a bit fiddly and you will probably need some dry glazed tapes. Again you will need to check the thickness of the glass and may as well measure it fully while its out

As Gazman says for both doors.

The original front door looks like a steel faced door made by IG Doors, very common on new builds, the glass is sandwiched between the beads inside and out, remove the plugs and undo and remove all the screws, get someone to hold the outer half while removing the inner, they'll be nothing holding it, either remove the glass now or let it sit in the outer bead or glazing cassette and remove the cassette, you can now measure the glass in width height and thickness, very easy diy job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back