UPVC DOOR ARE UNSAFE !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just wondering if anyone else had similar problems with UPVC doors.

We have 3 properties here in Manchester and all had their UPVC doors kicked in by a burglar at different occasions who even went in in at one of them with just one kick ! I know I give info to the crooks out there but I don't quite understand how can double glazed companies promote UPVC doors as very safe !. You don't know how safe something is until you put it to the test.

In all of our doors the frame of the door that holds the lock obviously stayed intact however the panel of the door came off the internal beading making an easy way in for the burglar.

I don't quite understand what's the point of putting such a sophisticated lock mechanism on the door when the panel is only held in place by a flimsy thin internal beading. As I've said I have seen in in at least three doors some of them with a double re-enforced panel all installed by a different installer and different makes of door. Also other people in the neighbourhood had similar issues. Yes, that's right I live in Manchester unfortunatelly !

Are there any safer doors out there or is there anything I can do to make the panel stay in place when it's kicked and the internal beading more secure or do I need to change the whole door that cost me £500 for something else like e.g a composite door ?

Would silicone the internal beading to the panel help ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Yanni, you are not alone by any means. I have seen a video on YouTube showing how PVC doors can be kicked in. A sort of 'How-to-do-it' for burglars. I manufacture wood doors for a living so I am clearly biased, but why anyone would buy pvc in the first place is beyond me. Wood is stiff and strong, and if properly designed and finished is so much better than pvc for not a great more cost. (It also looks better, closes with a "clunk!" instead of a "Boiiing!", and will probably outlast pvc as a door even though pvc is supposed to be indestructable.

One pvc manufacturer is actively advertising how his competitors doors can be kicked in, so I expect to see more posts like yours.

. Yes, that's right I live in Manchester.............

............Are there any safer doors out there or is there anything I can do to make the panel stay in place when it's kicked

Manchester! This is your answer then.......................

222927564_0ec7387602.jpg

Sponsored Links
No standard doorset is "safe"

Whether its kicking a panel, popping the lock, splitting the frame or what ever, don't be misled that a burglar is not going to get in.

The idea is that a burglar will pick a property which will be less time consuming and less noisy, but if he wants to, he will get in

A plastic door does not have a multi-lock for security - its there solely to keep the door from twisting in normal use. Its just clever marketing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back