Replacing UPVC door panel

Tub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i'm trying to remove a upvc door panel (haven't done this before) and all advice I have had makes me feel this should be pretty straight forward. I understand the principle of detaching the beading surrounding the door panel but the beading is so tight against the door frame I can't seem to get any tool in the gap. Have tried wallpaper scrapers, flat head screwdriver etc. I have also tried pushing the beading to make a small gap but the stuff is pretty tough and won't budge. Is there something I'm missing? any suggestions greatly appreciated.....

Sponsored Links
There could be a couple of reasons why your struggling

- If its internally beaded make sure you don't have a system that uses a push in external gasket (wedge gasket), this pushes the panel inwards and locks the beads into place, an old system nowadays but i don't know how old yours is. Try flicking the gasket out first, it should come out easily, don't force it if is seems stuck, it could be a clip in gasket (E gasket or fir tree) and you could tear it

- Maybe your just not pushing the knife right in, it needs to go right in about 3 or 4mm, knock it in with a hammer if needed, keep your weight on the knife while levering the bead out, if the corners of the beads are mitred then start in the middle of the vertical beads and work towards the ends, if the corners are scribed then start at the ends.

A photo of the bead would help loads if you could post some up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back