Best external door security wise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend the best material for a new external front door and frame from a security perspective.

Had a UPVC one kicked through last week and can't believe the ease of which the internal panel came through (there was a very thin piece of sheet metal in the panel but it was only held in with beading) - is this common?

I've been told composite 'rock' doors maybe slightly stronger, but there's not a lot in it.

Is a decent hardwood door better still than UPVC or composite?

Sponsored Links
jefro said:
Is a decent hardwood door better still than UPVC or composite?
Something like solid teak Hardwood door is the way go, not cheap but still cheaper than upvc door.

you can get through most doors if youre determined or know how (speaking from both practical and technical experiance in my previous life as a police door basher!)

I would always go for timber. It it noisy to get through and that is the biggest no no for a burglar. Just as important though is where the ironmongery ie locks, letter box, hinge bolts etc are situated. Even more important is the frame should be very secure, as thats just as likely to go as the door.

Also looks a damn site better than upvc crap

cheers lads,

it's looking like a decent hardwood then.

Sponsored Links
Oak. Strong, beautiful, can last a thousand years. There is no contest. Please don't use tropical hardwood. It just messes up the planet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back