Adding More Glass to a PVC Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My outer front door is uPVC, Rehau I believe. Neither the door nor frame have any metal reinforcement. The door, which was sold as being "high security", has an infill panel made from layers of PVC a few mm thick over a central core of expanded polystyrene. The infill panel is held in by snap-in plastic beading, in the same way as the glass is held into my windows.

High-security it ain't. It doesn't look very nice either. I'd like to replace the infill panel with a single sheet of glass. Question is, will the door and frame take the extra weight? The door has 3 hinges.

Sponsored Links
Yes, shouldnt be any problems, you will have to toe and heel the glass to stop the door from dropping tho.

If the hinges are flag hinges (do they go inside the jab or sit on the face of the door?) you can adjust these to, best to adjust top right out (towards locking side) and bottom right in so you can lift the door later if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back