PVC interior French doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just had a pair of interior pvc French doors installed to partition our large living room into a dining room, I love the doors but noticed on completion 1 of them had a fault so that is getting changed, I have now also noticed a lot of gaps between the beading so had a closer look and there are a lot of gaps which have been filled in with a light brown silicon, doors are an oak colour, I am not sure if this is the "normal" thing to do or whether it is just ill fitting beading, I have 2 doors and a glass panel either side which also has the silicon running all the way down the beading there, I dont want to make a fuss if this is how it is supposed to be but looking around I am thinking the beading has been cut short, it is "only" about 5mm-10mm but dont know if this is going to annoy me, the gaps catch my eye where they haven't been filled so when they come to change doors I am not sure whether to ask for them to fill in the gaps or redo the beading....the beading is from the frame to the glass, hope I make sense...:) thanks for any advise

Sponsored Links
As a decorator I spend a lot of time removing silicone (inappropriately) applied by morons who fit uPVC fittings and quite frankly do not care about the next tradesman.

It takes them 10 minutes to run an bead of silicone. I cannot paint up to the silicone (because it repels the paint). I spend 3 hours removing the silicone and replacing it with a MS polymer than I can paint over, or at least cut the paint in to.

There are some top fellows that install uPVC, the sad reality is that most are pants and just want to get in and get out as fast as possible. Others may disagree with me but based on my experiences, I would say that 95% of fitters are rubbish.

Sorry, I appreciate that my scatter gun condemnation is of little help, but your description sounds like par for the course.

Rather than than using filler around the door frame, and sanding it, and then painting, it is quicker to run an PVC bead and glue it in place with silicone...

As a decorator I spend a lot of time removing silicone (inappropriately) applied by morons who fit uPVC fittings and quite frankly do not care about the next tradesman.

It takes them 10 minutes to run an bead of silicone. I cannot paint up to the silicone (because it repels the paint). I spend 3 hours removing the silicone and replacing it with a MS polymer than I can paint over, or at least cut the paint in to.

There are some top fellows that install uPVC, the sad reality is that most are pants and just want to get in and get out as fast as possible. Others may disagree with me but based on my experiences, I would say that 95% of fitters are rubbish.

Sorry, I appreciate that my scatter gun condemnation is of little help, but your description sounds like par for the course.

Rather than than using filler around the door frame, and sanding it, and then painting, it is quicker to run an PVC bead and glue it in place with silicone...

That will be all of the large national company's then, There are actually some of us about that take our time and do a good job.

For the OP. That sounds shocking 5-10mm gaps in the beads. Can you post some pics?
From the description I would say unacceptable and should be replaced but that is assuming you are talking glazing beads and not just the trims, hard to tell without seeing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back