Porch door/Front door security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of buying a house which has the following configuration :-

PVC door leads into small porch area which is of brick/pvc window construction, the porch door is on the side of the porch as you look from the front of the house.
The front door is therefore at 90 degrees to the porch door and obviously faces down the driveway to the road, the front door appears to be of wooden construction.

I absolutely hate PVC doors (not seen one yet which I like) and intend to replace the porch door with either wood or composite. My question is really regarding security, should we concentrate security on the porch door (first point of entry) or would we be better ensuring that the actual front door is as much as it can be impregnable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Both , but especially outer door if thief is not easily visible kicking in the inner door, he can take his time if he can’t be seen.

It depends how you will use the porch.

Personally I would say extra secure inner door and the porch doesn't really matter. I leave mine permanently unlocked as its mainly a place to get out of the rain, Put shoes and a place for delivery's to be left

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies,

Going on from there I am trying to establish where to look for a good quality secure wooden door. I have looked at the External Extreme range from JB Kind which seem to be decent quality ( at a price) but I am finding it difficult to get definitive information on such features as Draught/Weather proofing etc. I want something that approaches or exceeds what would be expected from a good composite/PVC door.

Is this down to the quality of the fitting and should it be a conversation I have with the Joiner I engage to fit the door?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back