Front Door/Porch question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering whether anyone could provide some advice. The previous owner of my house constructed a small porch on the front of the house and in replace of the original front door put a normal interior door.

My husband is now keen to remove that interior door so that we have the exterior door on the porch leading directly to the porch then the hallway. He has said he will remove the door and door frame completley but I'm concerned that as this was the original front of the house it could cause major problems removing the original door frame and leaving the opening unsupported.

Any help and suggestions would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
What type/age is the property? The door head is unlikely to be acting as a lintel although occasionally door/window heads work as lintels but generally only in older properties. You may, however, breach building regulations if you remove your external door as the porch may well have been built as a porch which was not designed to retain any heat. If that bothers you, you need to describe the porch, is it cavity wall construction, are they insulated, what size is the porch, when was the porch added etc?

Thanks for your help. The house is victorian and the porch was probably added in the early 2000's. I doubt it's cavity insulated as it's always freezing out there even with a radiator on!

Sponsored Links
i changed my "old" front door to an internal door in my porch and dint tell the council.i dont give a hoot what they have to say,lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back