Front door security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a upvc porch on the front of the house, with french doors so not great security but only 5 years old so better than average.

Anyway as a second line there is a fairly old wood front door. At the moment there is only a knob with a thumb turn on the inside and key centre on the outside, American style. Additionally there is a surface bolt top and bottom. All the ironmongery is brass so we are changing it all.

So what is the minimum security requirement for a front door in this scenario? If it makes a difference the wooden door has an alarm contact on it so will be the alarm trigger. The porch is unprotected by the alarm.

At the moment I have a Euro sashlock 2.5in backset in my screwfix basket. What else should I spec? Bolted hinges overkill on an internal opening door?

I've only had upvc doors before. Is there anything I can do to beef up the french doors on the porch?

Sponsored Links
you have a wooden door. Why don't you fit a BS mortice lock to it? You won't find anything else as good.

If you look at the "minimum security requirements" on your home insurance policy you will probably find it specifies a BS deadlock on the Final Exit Door, and a lock plus key-operated bolts on all other external doors.

Steve, good evening.

As post by JohnD strongly agree, if you have a look at the "Minimum Security" requirements as DEMANDED by your Insurance Company, in there youn will find that [invariably] a BS standard is specified,

I strongly suggest that you comply.

Having worked in the Insurance field for some 17 years, one of the first things I have to look at when investigating an Insurance claim for a Burglary is to ensure that the locks on all doors and windows comply with the as above "Minimum Security" as defined in your Policy Booklet, and that the lock was indeed locked?

The lock on your front door sounds from your description as a lock that would probably fail the requirements of your insurer, in general terms the "Final exit doors must have the minimum security as called for in the Policy Booklet.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back