Unsquare opening and French Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have previously fitted upvc doors and windows. We want to replace existing timber door and sidelights in our porch with upvc french doors with no sidelights.

Have started measuring. The opening is not square and uneven. The difference between highest horizontal and lowest horizontal is 50mm.

How to proceed to get a secure fitting and have finish look good?

Inside porch is painted brickwork. Outside is pebble dash. All I can think of at the moment is to fit frame and make good the large gaps with mortar...

Sponsored Links
Order the doors to the smaller size (-10mm for expansion) and make good around.
Frames need to be fitted level and square if you want them to last.

Or depending on cill and threshold option you could cut down slightly to bury some of the frame, Just be sure it wont foul the opening and will allow for future flooring changes.

Thanks for that. It's the "making good" I am concerned about. What if there is a 35-40mm difference? I know similar properties in our road have a timber sub frame but I don't really want to do that.

Sponsored Links
Easiest way would be to use expanding foam around the frame and cut it back when its cured. Then scribe in some PVC trims.

Rendered to a nice straight edge would look better in the long run though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back