Door for archway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a porch area recessed in the front of the house with a brick archway. I want a glazed door to enclose the porch so we can keep shoes etc in the porch.

As this would be secondary to the existing front door I do not want to have external grade locks and glazing etc but I don't know if that would be permitted under current regulations?

Also, I don't know who I would contact for this sort of project - a carpenter?

Sponsored Links
As this would be secondary to the existing front door I do not want to have external grade locks and glazing etc but I don't know if that would be permitted under current regulations?
Why ever not; decent locks will make very little difference to the overall cost, will increase security & stop your shoes & brolly getting pinched. Double glazing will defiantly help keep the main property warmer.

To answer your questions specifically; your unlikely to need planning unless it’s listed or there are special circumstances in your area; check with a call to your local planning dept. A porch does not need to comply with Building Regulations as long as you retain the external door into the main property, do not heat it & it’s less than 3 sq/m but that's unlikely to affect you if it's an existing recess. Only condition is that any glass in the door or next to the door must be safety glass. See this link for basics;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonporch

Also, I don't know who I would contact for this sort of project - a carpenter?
If it’s anything like the link posted by crank39, I would go for UPVC as shown. You could have one in timber but it’s likely to cost far more unless you’re good at carpentry.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the suggestions, quite a lot to think about! I think as it's quite a low arch I may have to go for an arched door rather than the square UPVC door set in to a frame.

Carpenter it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back