Re-pointing and making good dpc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have a 1890's terraced (non cavity wall) in need of some tlc
The front of the house probably needs re-pointing completely,but my initial concern is the ground level and up to the slate dpc.There are no visible signs of damp inside the house but as can be seen by the pictures the course of bricks below the dpc is deteriorated and we have had a problem with weeds growing at ground level.
Any advice on the best( economical) way to tackle this would be greatly appreciated.
It looks like the slate dpc was previously rendered over but I have read that this is not good practice as it bridges the dpc?
How can we tidy this up so its not such an eyesore?
Thanks in advance for any help....

Sponsored Links
It's not an easy job to tidy up a slate DPC to look good without bridging it.
Your ground level is too high, especially next to the air brick.

Hi Stuart thanks for the reply
Granted it may not be easy but how is it done?
Yep pretty much what I suspected,the concrete at ground level is less than 2ft wide then there is the front garden,if I remove the concrete would I need to do anything to ensure drainage given that removing the concrete here would create a lower level than the rest of the garden. Eg could I just fill with gravel?
Thanks again...

Hi Stuart thanks for the reply
Granted it may not be easy but how is it done?

You can try and rake out some mortar and fill in almost flush with the slates, but they are probably not put in straight. That's why they usually bridged the DPC with an angled thick joint for slate.

Yep pretty much what I suspected,the concrete at ground level is less than 2ft wide then there is the front garden,if I remove the concrete would I need to do anything to ensure drainage given that removing the concrete here would create a lower level than the rest of the garden. Eg could I just fill with gravel?

Gravel would help.

Thanks again...

Sponsored Links
Hi we have a 1890's terraced (non cavity wall) in need of some tlc
The front of the house probably needs re-pointing completely,Thanks in advance for any help....
I personally don`t think it does :idea: and I would just kill the weeds that pop up through the gaps in concrete and put planters along there- BUT I would be under the floor around the airbricks inside checking conditions there ;) In fact I`ve done just that here in our house - and found a couple of things , like air brick not having clear run through wall . . Just my opinion , but I`d prioritise the condition of the floors ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back