Re-postioning new boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I would like to thank everyone in advance for any help and guidance they can give me.

I have an old 28kw boiler located in the middle of the house, this struggles to heat all radiators, they are generally luke warm. I have 22mm pipes from boiler which tee's off to 15mm to each radiator. I want to replace my boiler and relocate it the the garage. I have had 2 quotes both plumbers have given my different advice: One has suggested that from the new boiler to the middle of the house to run 28mm pipe and join on to the 22mm this will help with the flow of the water and heat up all the rads. The second person has suggested reposition the new boiler and connect it to the nearest radiator, he said nothing else needs to be done.
I am very confused as they are both giving me differnt information.
I want what ever is best to get all the rads hot. who is right ? I dont want to waste money and time by going with the wrong person.
can someone please advise me, thank you !!

Sponsored Links
How do you know that it's the boiler at fault? Have you done a heat loss calculation for the property? It could just be a circulation issue

No i have not done heat loss calculation,
My boiler is about 18 years old, it works but cannot cope with 19 rads. The furthest rads don't warm up. I agree there is a circulation issue as well. I thought I would change boiler before it stops working altogether.

My boiler is about 18 years old, it works but cannot cope with 19 rads. The furthest rads don't warm up. I agree there is a circulation issue as well. I thought I would change boiler before it stops working altogether.

Go with the first guy. Second guy is talking nonsense, definately a cowboy.

Sponsored Links
Second guy definitely sounds like a Muppet, but to be fair we can't see the system.

I would be very surprised if a 28kw boiler, properly installed and maintained couldn't handle 19 rads.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
If you got a circulation issue a new boiler won't fix it ! First chap is right second wrong.

Before you go down the new boiler route, get some one to clean out the heating circuit and rads, might need power flushing ...might not, but it needs cleaning out and possibly balancing ........

Turn off all the rads except the ones that don't get hot ...see if they get hot then........ If they get hot it's a balancing issue.

What boiler have you got?
Do you have a cylinder?
First one suggesting a 28mm line from new location to existing will improve circulation............
Will it?
You have circulation problem now, 28mm pipe will not improve circulation. As said already, issue is circulation/ distribution of primary flow
Second person. Give him a chance, but do not pay him unless he can fix the problem which he will not be able to. Would be a good laugh though:whistle::whistle:;):whistle:;)
Think about it. Present plumbing is boiler connected to 22 pipe, then branches to 15 for rads
First plumber relocates the boiler and connects two points with 28mm pipe
Situation will remain same

Second guy connects boiler to nearest rad which is 15mm pipe
That rad might heat up very well but rest of the system now fed via 15mm that connects to 22 and then down to 15 for other rads. Here things will be worst

Need more information about system to offer advice

If your car gets a flat tyre, do you put a new engine in it, or do you fix the tyre?

You need to find out the heat output of your present boiler, do a heat loss calculation for the house, and fix the circulation issues. Only if the present boiler's output is less than the heat loss for the house, skulls a new boiler be considered (unless the present one is exceptionally unreliable)

I currently have an Ariston Boiler, i think approxiamtely 18-19 years old. the boiler does struggle to heat up the rads. Its been freezing the last few weeks, the house wouldl not warm up. I turned off all the fully working rads and let the heating run i found all the luke warm rads heated up, then as i turned on the rest of the rads they went back to behing luke warm again. would that be an issue with the size of the boiler.
I am thinking of replacing it with intergas 36/42 combi; would that help to heat up all 19 rads?

It is nothing to do with the size of the boiler, your system needs balanced, water will always take the least path of resistance, hence when you stop the easy path the rest heat up , changing the boiler might be a good idea as it is getting on a bit and was never the best to start with, changing the boiler however will not solve your problem, you have a balancing issue. I wouldnt be using either of the two who have quoted you though.

Our system has never been great only some rads get warmer than others. Biggest issue is the rads warm at the top but the bottom half is cold, is this all linked to balancing.

Thanks to everyone's for your feedback, it has been helpful. I will have a go at balancing the rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back