Re-roof end of terrace house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a 15 years old end-of-terrace house and have to re-roof. Basically, the developer had laid 3 less courses of roof tiles in our block than other blocks. This has resulted in wind-driven rain penetrated the roof over the years and is causing roof leak as the roof-felt has holes in it and has to be completely replaced.

Besides re-felt the roof, I am think of adding the three missing courses of roof tiles back. Otherwise, I will have to repeat the same exercise again in the future.

Is it correct that the standard way to separate my part of the roof from my neighbour's roof is to use dry bonding gutter? Also, is it better to use new tiles rather than re-use the old tiles?

Photo attached :

Thanks!

Phil

Sponsored Links
Do you know the pitch of the roof it looks shallow, if you are going down the bonding gutter route then you could put a tile on more suited to the pitch.

Do you know the pitch of the roof it looks shallow, if you are going down the bonding gutter route then you could put a tile on more suited to the pitch.

I was thinking the same, the headlap looks ok but the pitch looks little more than 15 degrees, less on the bottom 3 or 4 rows.

Thanks for the advice.

The pitch is around 3.5, which is quite shallow. The headlap for the tile (Redland Stonewold II) should be 4 inches at that pitch, but instead, it is around 2.5 inches due to the missing courses.

If I use different types of tiles, would I need planning permission to do it as my roof will look different from my neighbour's?

Cheers,

Phil

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Wonder if someone could help with this additional question - to add back the two missing courses of roof tiles, do I need structural calculations for the building reg application?

Thanks.

Phil

No is your answer to that question, but your last answer about pitch made no sense 3.5- 2.5 is that head lap?

Thanks @catlad.

3.5 is the pitch, which is about 16 degree. So it is a shallow roof.

I was also told by the roofer that the headlap is about 2.5 inches.

So do I need planning permission if I change the style of roof tiles because the roof will look different from my neighbour's?

Cheers,

Phil

I can't answer the question about changing your tile, if your are part of a complex with all the same tiles then it could be an issue. you could build a flat roof under your tiled roof and then keep the same tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back