Re-roofing questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours behind are having their house re-roofed and it has been a good opportunity to watch and learn.

The house is an inter-war semi with a steep pitched hip roof. On the side is a large dormer serving the loft conversion, which is 1990's at a guess. There are two rooflights on each side of the roof.

When they removed the tiles, which are clay single romans, I could see that none of the rafters were strengthened where the dormers are, and it visually looked quite saggy under the larger one, so it was hardly a surprise to me.

Should this have been addressed as part of the job, or is it ok to leave it like this now? Also the rigid board insulation was right at the back edge of the rafters, I was thinking with a new breathable membrane going on there won't be so much ventilation.

They are using the same tiles. I was just wondering if they might end up having problems again if the rafters are not more level. The contractors are trying hard but by their body language I can see that they are not finding it easy. On some sections it the tiles had been doubled up when they were taking them off, is that possible???

I was wondering if I ever get this job done what is the best thing to do regarding getting the rafters and insulation.

Sponsored Links
The other thing I should have said is that the lap on these tiles looks pretty mean on the original roof and they seem to be laying it to the same gauge. The lap looks to be no more than about 4cm to me.

I am just thinking if you don't address all these details then you might get problems again in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back