Re-using Copper Pipe End question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just need some advice on re-using a copper pipe.

My problem
I want to replace my old toliet, however the pipe for the cistern needs be altered. The problem is the copper pipe sticks out of the wall about 1inch and joins to a 90 degrees elbow. I need to remove this elbow and replace it with a new one.

My question
Would it be possible to remove the elbow and clean the pipe end and then install a new fitting without cutting the copper pipe as theres not much to cut off anyway.

Just wondering if this would work or the right way of doing it.

Would i need to remove all the old solder from the pipe end before installing new elbow ?

Any tips help would be very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I just did this kind of work myself last week, so will share my experience.

I assume the current elbow is a soldered joint? If so, you could try to remove it with a butane/propane torch by melting the existing solder -- use some pliers to lever off the elbow. If that doesn't work (as I found), you'll need to cut the pipe just after the elbow, which is best done with a special pipe cutter (same shape as a small role of electric tape, well worth investing in). But will that still leave about 1" sticking out? You'll need about 1" if you plan to use a compression joint in your new pipe layout, although you can get away with less (perhaps as little as 1/2") if you plan to solder.

After removing the elbow, clean the end of the pipe with wire wool or a fine file, making it the colour of a new penny. For a compression joint the pipe must be perfectly round where the olive will sit. For a solder joint, the pipe must be scrupulously clean and smooth.

Choice of joint? I went for compression because they're easy to fit and difficult to get wrong, plus the joint is hidden so I wasn't worried about looks. If you plan to solder, I recommend doing some practice first before trying the real thing.

Hope this helps.

Don't lever anything!! A wiggle should do. Assuming its a soldered joint, heat it up, slide the old joint off without crushing anything, then wipe the molten solder off - loo paper will do for that, use flicking strokes. Then you can use solder or compression joint straight onto the blob-free but still solder-covered pipe.
Would take a plumber about 15 seconds total, to give you an idea.

It its a compression joint things are different!

i would have to agree with ChisR, i have made some bits and bobs from copper pipe, and in desperation used the same pipe, if you heat it long enough the solder WILL melt and a twist to the left then to the right while gently pulling and off it came. wipe with flux new yorksire joint not a leak in sight.

15.1 seconds as i am not a plumber ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for the advise. It is a soldered joint and i will try and heat it up and then carefully remove joint and wipe off any solder and then clean pipe end. Fingers cross!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back