Poly v Copper fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologese if this has been asked several times before but I am new to the Forum.

I am going to replace my old galvanized tank with a new plastic tank and move it out of the top of the airing cupboard up into the attic.
I would prefer to use plastic pipe and fittings but am worried about the durability of plastic elbows against soldered Yorkshire fittings on copper pipe.
Also is there any difference in the quality of one manufacturer and another? (Speedfit and Polypipe seem to be available locally).
Can a plastic elbow fit a plastic pipe on one side and a copper pipe on the other?

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with using plastic as a DIYer,
Nothing wrong with the makes you have suggested.

Can a plastic elbow fit a plastic pipe on one side and a copper pipe on the other?

Yes you can but use the insert in the plastic pipe.

Debated many many times on here, the use of plastic piping is fine even for us pro,s, though its frowned upon as lazy and unproffessional :rolleyes:

;)

I would add to read the push-fit manufacturers instructions thoroughly, no matter how blindingly obvious you think they will be, then follow them with great care.

Sponsored Links
Plastic pipe doesn't look as pretty as copper piping but much faster to install. Most pushfit connectors can hold 10bar before they blow so pretty safe if installed correctly, i.e correct use of sleeves etc...

Stick with the John Guest speed fits, they seem to be the trade choice and much better than your B&Q own brand, be it a bit more dearer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back