Re-using glass from patio door for shed windows !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am repairing a shed and also replacing my old double glazed (aluminium) patio doors. I was wondering if it is feasible to break up one of the old d.g. Units into separate sheets and cut one up to make shed windows. I am a novice glass-cutter and have only cut 'ordinary' glass in the past so do not know if any special tools would be required for the glass used in the patio doors. All I know about them is that they are pretty old. MAny thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Katie, can't be done. The glass in your patio door will be toughened glass and not possible to cut.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Correct and correct. the older the door the more likely it is not be toughend. If you can not see a stamp on the corner of the glass you may be in luck, if the glass has a smoothed edge it probably is tough.

Thanks guys, I'll get the fitter to advise me when we get the new doors installed~alternatively I could just stick them on top as I need to repair the shed roof and they are just the right size; plenty of light but possibly not very aesthetically pleasing! (only kidding!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back