Reapply for planning changing from brick to timber build ext

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently obtained planning for a small extension to our house (brick / block built). The extension was due to match the house construction using brick/blocks and cladding. Now BC and SE have got involved we are changing to a timber frame construction. The extension will look identical to the original with dwarf brick walls and cladding.

As planning was granted on a brick construction, do I need to reapply on the basis of changing to timber, or is this nothing to worry about ? Once the extension is built no one would be able to tell, and if planning did discover, I presume I could apply for retrospective permission ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Planning won't give a hoot if you make the building out of cardboard, mud or cow dung provided it looks like the 'approved' drawings.

There is normally a condition on the permission along the lines of "Materials to match existing property"

This is normally reference to the external appearance, so planning wont be interested if the actual construction changes, just what it looks like.

But technically you should apply for a "rider" to the permission if you are altering the work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back