Reattach the internal UPVC window trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst stripping the wallpaper in a bedroom today i discovered that the clowns who installed UPVC in the house years ago (it's safe, and stylish if that helps you work out who), have attached the internal UPVC window trim to the wallpaper, which obviously has now come off!

It looks like it was attached with some sort of double sided foam strip (like a thin draugh excluder that was adhesive both sides) and then sealed around. The sections are only small, will I be ok sticking it back on with something like this?

Sponsored Links
simple answer yes, then where the trim meets the window will need sealing with small/white gap filler, or white silicon, then the other side of the trim will want sealing against the wall with what ya gunna stick it back with

simple answer yes, then where the trim meets the window will need sealing with small/white gap filler, or white silicon, then the other side of the trim will want sealing against the wall with what ya gunna stick it back with

Brilliant, thanks. As this is a white sealant will I be able to use the sealant for all the bits you mention above? I hope so, i really hate having lots of half used cartridges around because they all go to waste!

the product you've looked at its acrylic, i.e you can paint over it, you can use it for all of what needs doing but i would recomend that you use silicon or small gap wera plastic meets plastic, the acrylic will discolour

Sponsored Links
The installers use this trim for a quick way of covering any existing rough cuts/gaps in the plaster or wallpaper when they install the window. There is no need for you to replace them as you are redecorating - fill any big gaps with plaster and run bead of cheap decorators caulk between the wall and the frame.

Funny enough, we had 'safe & stylish' fitted our windows too. They never made good the plaster work properly and ignored us when we complained.

We are now removing all the ugly uPVC trims and having to fill the gaps with plaster. But does anyone know what do we do with that 20mm gap between the windows and the original tiled window sills? Grout it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back