Rebate 762 door lining to accept 686 door advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi:)

i want to install a door lining to accept a 686mm door, unfotunatley the only lining i could get today was a 762 with the rebates pre cut.

measuring the rebates for the 762 outer edge to outer edge comes in at 805mm, so should i add 43 on to 686 and this will give me the right spacing? or is it more complicated than that?

if i space at 729 it doesn't give me much to play with as the opening is 732, or is this an advantage?

many thanks for your time :)

Sponsored Links
If you want to trim the door down, the rebate size should be 691

If you cut in the butt hinges, assemble the door lining then get the lining in place, you can temporary get the door swinging which allows you to fit the lining to the door

great many thanks, i don't have the door yet, was hoping to get the lining in then plasterboard up to it.

so a better method is to do the lining and the door all together?

can you go into a little more detail on that method? i take it i cut the hinges into the door jamb, then assemble all square etc, but wouldn't i have to have already cut in the new rebate by this time? which would stop me adjusting any further? or do you keep adjusting the width of the rebate to bring the opposite jamb in? i'm probably missing a step apologies if its noddy.

thanks again :)

great many thanks, i don't have the door yet, was hoping to get the lining in then plasterboard up to it.

so a better method is to do the lining and the door all together?

can you go into a little more detail on that method? i take it i cut the hinges into the door jamb, then assemble all square etc, but wouldn't i have to have already cut in the new rebate by this time? which would stop me adjusting any further? or do you keep adjusting the width of the rebate to bring the opposite jamb in? i'm probably missing a step apologies if its noddy.

thanks again :)

For the width you can work off measurements, usually a door is about 5mm narrower than the lining or rebate.

If you do that, then you csn cut the butts out on the lining jamb. Then you can assemble the lining on the ground, pop the door in with about a 2mm margin at the head, transfer across your hinge butt positions.

Take door out and cut butts.

Then put your door lining into the opening, maybe get 1 fixing on the hinge side.

Put door into lining, then move lining around until you have a nice even margin around door using wedges etc (you might want to cut a bit of wood to keep the lining at its correct width at the bottom).

Nb you might need to cut something off the door lining if there is much liner extending beyond the door at the bottom.

Once you are happy with the door fit, fix the liner checking as you go that you arent moving or bowing the liner. The door needs to be shorter than the liner -amount depends on floor finish.

Dont use a square or spirit level you are only using the door as your guide to position the liner.

Its much easier than fitting the liner, then making the door fit to it afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Wow, that is brilliant. Many thanks for the detailed write up, I'll be doing it like that for definite :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back