Rebuilding an old chimney stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed some penetrating damp from inside parents bedroom.
After investigation we have found this damp to be probably coming from a corroded chimney stack.
We have had an estimate to rebuild the stack with the existing bricks. The estimate from this work (builder says it will take 2 men 5 days) is £2600 including erecting and dismantle scaffold .Anyone have an idea if this is a good fair quote ?

Sponsored Links
Pics?

Get two more quotes from brickies

You say probably , have you had it confirmed this is definitely the problem? There's no point spending money on a probably then find it's something else.....

Hi the quote says to take down the stack to flashing level and rebuild therefore I would not replacing flashing. This certainly wasn't detailed in the quote .
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I rebuilt my chimney stack myself and surely you will need to redo the lead, unless you can reuse what's there.
I was able to save front apron and back gulley (excuse me if terminology is wrong) but i had to redo the sides stepped lead flashing.
I demolished the old one without tools as the mortar was completely gone soft and went 3 courses inside the roof before i found solid brickwork.
I paid £450 for scaffolding, 300 bricks, sand and cement, waterproofer, chimney top and a strong man to do the lifting.
Then i built a wooden stack for the top cap, reinforced woth steel bars and poured concrete.
Finally, after a couple of weeks i soaked the all stack with Thompson's waterproofer.
3/4 days to rebuild it.
If i had to charge someone to do the same thing i would say 1700/2000 accordingly to my mood and the weather.

Thanks for your reply Johnny 2007 I am a little surprised that the quote didn't mention replacing lead flashing. If this is the case I feel this quote is on the high side from your quote.

Hi mate, I am also in Cheshire and havehad a quote for less than half to remove and rebuild the stack and sort the flashing out. It was half again to have the chimney removed below the roof line and tiled over.

I only had the one quote which I felt was fair. It was from a roofer and not a builder if that helps.

Work due to start next week and can report back if you like

I had my chimney rebuilt last year, was 350 to do all the pointing all round and redo the top and some new cowls, then another 150 when they had to rebuild down about 6 layers of bricks.
1855 stone terrace in Rossendale.

So it all depends upon where you are, who you get, how big a job it is, the size and type of chimney, the use of scaffolding etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back