Recessed Downlights In Kitchen (Different Query)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie here. Hello all.

Have recently fitted some downlights under the kitchen cabinets.

Pretty simple job, as the lights don't need wiring into anything- they just run from a mains plug on the wall (Xmas lights principle), and I've linked 4 together under 4 adjoining cabinets. I've also put two separate units (not linked to each other or any others) on the other side of the kitchen.

They are powered by 30W strip lights.

Anyway, they all looked fine and dandy and lit up on cue. But for some reason they keep blowing their bulbs and on one occasion the 3A fuse. The line of 4 has blown 3 bulbs to date, but one of the two, single only units has also blown a bulb.

It may just be a dodgy batch of bulbs (I bought them all at the same time from my local Homebase. Can't think that the linking of four would cause this (product info says you can connect up to 8 if you want), and that would not explain the single unit blowing its bulb either.

Anyone any ideas other than a bunch of dodgy bulbs? The units come with no screw plugs with 3A fuses fitted.

The cable into the units are quite long, but have stowed them away neatly in cable tidies on the underside of the unit.

Cheers

This is the (linked up) product. The single units are the same, without the linking cables.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...006960>C$cip=1500007601&categoryId=1500007601

Sponsored Links
Take them back to Homebase and tell them. Either get your money back or have them replaced.

Yeah take them back, clearly not fit for use. Then go to a reputable hardware store or electrical wholesalers
and purchase some decent lighting. We had some lighting units from Homebase that kept shorting to
their metal body - its a good job I earthed them. :rolleyes:

click here

Those units seem pretty cheap (maybe not as cheap as homebase but you gets what you pays for).
Please dont go for halogen undercupboard lighting - its rubbish.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the advice.

Problem seems to have been with the bulbs- they supplied 6 Osrams F.O.C as replacements, and asked me to come back if those blew and they'd replace the units.

The Osrams slotted straight into their housing; the own brand ones were a bit of a struggle, and the metal contacts in the bulbs were bending slightly.

So far no probs since the bulb change.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back