Recommend me a new blowlamp...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to buy a blowlamp for DIY plumbing use.

I'd like one with built-in ignition, and that uses gas cartridges that are easily available.

Ideally under £30 if poss.

Any recommendations, or useful features I should look out for ?

Sponsored Links
You will have to decide if you want a good one, or a cheap one; there is not good cheap one

I see that B&Q do the GoSystems brand, and somewhere else yesterday I saw some CampingGaz ones, similar features for similar prices.

Are either of these brands OK ?

Sponsored Links
Just after something for DIY use, doesn't need to be as top quality as it might if I relied upon it for my job.

As long as you can get the cartridges - it`s an exellent value one

says propane or mapp cartridges, so i guess they are standard fittings as available in any merchants.

it's likely a chinese rip off of a superfire 2, cheaper materials, but will do the job fine.

i wouldn't bother with mapp, it puts more heat in quicker than propane, but if you are not right on the ball then and end feed joint can dry out before you get the solder to draw.

if you are doing yorkshires then it's not such an issue, but i'd suggest sticking with propane anyway.

that bottle looks like a standard bottle - you can pick them up anywhere (within reason)

I bought me one of these http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/p...-torches/rothenberger-flameset-gas-torch.html or similar at a good price a couple of years back when I finally got fed up with Taymar etc acting up at angles. Always been more than happy with it.

I make a rule of buying the best I can afford if undertaking a big DIY (new bathroom and a new en suite in this instance) as it can be justified by the savings.

I assumed Mapp was more for brazing etc than soldering?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back