Recommend me a paint + primer combo for new skirting + doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be replacing alot of the skirting in my new house and would like recommendations on what primer + paint combo to use. I'm also repainting the existing woodwork + doors.

I'd like a nice slightly shiny finish that can be wiped down easily and wont yellow badly (I've heard the dulux problem has been fixed now? So long as I look out for the tins with the triangle on them).

I was thinking of buying:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/universal-primer-paint-white-25l/invt/214265/
for the primer (needs to cover just under 4m2 of new pine skirting and 1 door 6m2)

And:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/dulux-trade-satinwood-pbw-25l/invt/106497/
For the top coat, internal doors and some architrave. Needs to do around 16m2 so I'm thinking I'll have to get a second tin, perhaps the 750ml size.

One additional question is that some of the door frames have been painted a light caramel/chocolate colour and I'm not sure whether I'm meant to put undercoat or something similar on first? Or if it will just want a couple of coats of whatever topcoat paint I buy.

Sponsored Links
The system you have suggested will work but it wouldn't be my first choice.

For a satin finish (as opposed to eggshell or full gloss), I would use Johnstone's acrylic primer and undercoat followed by their acrylic satin (Aqua). They are waterbased (hence quick drying, no smell, no yellowing) but prepared to put at least two coats on of each, possibly three. It's slightly mnore expensive than the Wicke's but worth it for the better finish.

Previously painted frames will need a good sand down then undercoat then topcoat unless you know for sure that the previous paint was the same as you propose to put on.

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't sure whether to go for water based or oil, and not knowing anything really about painting stumped for oil as based on other posts I've read it gives the better finish.

But I will definitely look into your recommendations. :)

Sponsored Links
Oil-based definitely gave a better finish pre 2010 (when all the formulations had to change). Now, waterbased paints have improved a lot and oil based are not the same as they used to be. I still used o/b for exterior work (where the uv light in sunshine keeps it white), but haven't painted with oil paint inside for ages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back