Recommend Saw Horse for Chainsawing Logs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, my first post I think in this section.

Got lots of pruning branches 2-3 inches thick and a few heavy logs up to 9 inches wide.

Just looking at a cheap saw horse and suspect that the real cheap ones might not be up to the job. Quite like the price of the Silverline one whhich goes for around £25 on eBay (£30 from my local tool shop which I will probably finish up supporting :)).

There's three below I'm looking at on eBay, only one of which seems to have any diagonal strut so I'm thinking the others might not be very rigid.

Anyone care to venture an opinion. (By the way I'm not an experienced chain saw user so will be reading up on all the safety stuff first!)

So the three I was looking at and the price including carriage are as follows. (if you search on "Saw Horse" it brings them up).

- Wolf Log Saw Horse Chainsaw Foldable 1655 @19.99
- Silverline 127998 Log Saw Horse 150kg @22.22
- Chainsaw Metal Saw Horse Loghorse for Sawing @23.84 (Rockwood part no P/N 01507)
[/list]

Sponsored Links
..........for the sake of £4.. buy the one that is the nicest colour !!!!

Yes, not worried about the 4 quid...just wondered if anyone had used one and found the type with the diagonal support was a bit more stable?

Yep, got two of these already, not much lateral support compared to the "X" of a proper saw horse.

Ok build one myself = 45 mins = >£20

To be honest for chainsawing logs I don't even use a bench. Two bits of scaffold board minus their banding for the log to sit on and prevent you cutting the ground and a couple of blocks to stop it moving and you're away. Saves a bad back trying to lift great big heavy logs onto a bench.

Sponsored Links
Better with an old pallet with wide spacings put the log/branch on that and cut in the same direction as the slats, don't hit anything you shouldn't...

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Trouble with pallets and scaffolding boards is that by the time I need them I've probably used them for something else!

I just bagged a Silverline one for £20.50 including postage on eBay. The differential between that and our local shop at £30 was just too much. Feel guilty though and serve me right if they eventually go to the wall because of penny pinchers like me :(

I'll let you know how I get on.

These things just look a hassle to use- got to put the log on it, presumably cut it from both ends to keep it balanced(steel toecaps a must for logs falling from this height), then what happens when you get to the last section?
Easier working on the ground from one end to the other....!

ABC I've also used a pallet more than once and ended up sawing the pallet into logs as well :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back