Recommendations for RF wireless thermostat

HGF

Reaction score
I need a new transmitter and receiver, wireless RF one.

Any suggestions for one that's reliable, interference free and measures room temp accurately.

Vaillant Ecotec boiler

Thanks

Sponsored Links
interference free

Since all of them operate on licence exempt frequencies they have to tolerate interference from other legal equipment entitled to use the frequency. The level of tolerance and the effect of interference varies enormously depending on the manufacturer's design quality standards.

Then there is the illegal to use equipment that can play havoc with legal equipment using the licence exempt freqencies

Thanks but I'm looking for recommendations that help me with a choice

Look at the protocol used in the communication between thermostat and receiver. That is the most important factor in radio communications

A simple protocol would be that the thermostat sends a "Heat On" command when heating is needed and a "Heat Off" command when heating is no longer needed. This works but if the "Heat Off" command is not received the boiler will keep running.

A better protocol is when the thermostat sends repeated "Heat On" commands every 30 seconds ( or other suitable period ) and the receiver times out and shuts down the boiler when the "Heat On" commands stop arriving. The thermostat need not send a "Heat Off" command but should do to prevent the boiler running on for the time out period.

A two way protocol where the reciver can reply to the thermostat is bestter still as the display on the thermostat can confirm the boiler has received the commands. It can also provide an indication of communication failure. Communication failure could be due to blocking of the channel or equipment failure.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back