Recommended material for sheeting staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Straight Stairs set with closed carpeted risers, underneath this there was a storage cupboard built and on the exposed face of the stairs it was sheeted with some thin board material, with 50mm strips of the same material at the panel joints and picture framing all the perimeters to give it a kind of panelled look... either been there since the house was built or installed in the 60s/70s so it was in pretty bad shape.

I've stripped all of that out to expose the bare structure of the staircase, built a little frame from floor to underside of the staircase just below the 2nd or 3rd step up from ground floor.

I'm intending to sheet the underside and exposed face of the stairs, then strip and replace the handrail, baserail and spindles.

What material would you suggest for the underside and face of the stairs which would paint up well and have decent strength give a nice flat surface?

Any ideas of designs for the side face other than flat sheet? (I'm not very imaginative)

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard ( also improves fire resistance).

Yeah I did consider using plasterboard underneath as I'm getting the walls in that room skimmed soon and it would tie in nicely.

What about the face of the stairs, you'd use plasterboard there or is a timber sheet material better?

Sponsored Links
Yeah I did consider using plasterboard underneath as I'm getting the walls in that room skimmed soon and it would tie in nicely.

What about the face of the stairs, you'd use plasterboard there or is a timber sheet material better?
Plasterboard , you could line the rear of the plasterboard with a thin sheet of osb , makes hanging pictures etc easier .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back