Advice on new 4 riser staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of my extension. Builder is doing the brickwork, steels, roof, floor, and I'm doing the rest.

My existing staircase is a straight staircase with a small landing near the top and then a 4 stair riser to the right onto the existing landing. There's a new bedroom which you'll get to by going up my existing staircase, but left off the small landing through an opening rather than right.

So I need to add a 4 stair riser that goes left, through the opening onto the floor. Ideally I'd like to buy something ready built that I can fix, or flat packed. I was looking at something like this:

http://www.tradestairs.com/acatalog/short_stairs.html (the 4 stair riser)

This looks like I'd need to trim some of the string though. Can't really find any alternatives. Advice and suggestions welcome. I've posted some pics of the situation below to add clarity.

Cheers
Jon

IMG_20150515_103515.jpg
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0297.JPG

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by "trim some off the string..."? Surely the stairs will be made to measure?
It certainly looks as though you can more than accommodate the minimum stated stair width, within your trimmed out floor opening.

I mean because part of the string would stick out into the existing staircase and at the top because they're not against the wall. See the 2 bits I've circled in the picture below. That's the way its working in my head anyway. I'd be concerned that trimming that top bit would lose strength?

Cheers
Jon

needtrimming.jpg

Those bits circled are largely sacrificial. As long as you leave enough 'meat' for the tread and riser then chop away. You can fix sideways through the stringer. Why do you need to chop the top bit off? Won't there be a newel or a short bit of (stud) wall at the top?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

Not sure on whether I'll put a newel in or just have the return section flush with the top stair, and no "barrier" as such.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back