1st floor side extension beeakthrough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm at the stage of my 1st floor side extension were I need to breakthrough from existing house.
20171123_195128.jpg
basically up the stairs to the right where the window is now is where the corridor is for extension to bedroom and walk in wardrobe. Have to put a 3 step riser staircase in to level.
20171123_195050.jpg
need some advice on putting the lintel in on the extension side.
20171123_195720.jpg
left hand window is the landing on stairs where I need to breakthrough and right hand window is in the shower cubicle in bathroom which is getting bricked up.
20171123_195853.jpg
what would be your guys plan of attack. Props and strongboy. What size lintel ect.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I did something similar. I didn't need any props because the wall plate was so close. I fitted the lintel first, a 140mm concrete one, then removed the bricks below and fitted some extra wall ties.

I would fix some strong galv brackets to the sides of those trusses and onto the wall plate then prop with a stout plank and a couple of Dan Ackroids. I'd remove the window and the proposed door masonry and then re-build with the new lintel.

s-l640.jpg

And I'd do it all whilst the missus was in the shower.

Good idea...2 acros onto trusses with long sturdy timber l. Remove both windows and wooden lintels. Put in concrete or steel lintel? Directly under wall plate. To length of both windows...150mm either side. Need Padstones? ???

Sponsored Links
Update..followed the advice given.

Attachments

• 20171128_130502.jpg
    20171128_130502.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 187
Hopefully get it all sorted and bricked up fully tomorrow and move on to the next problem haha.
Cheers guys

Because the wooden lintels were off set I wouldn' of got the 150mm bearing either end so thought best to take them both out and prop. Also the internal leaf on bathroom window isn' being blocked up just the outer. The mrs wants me to frame some tiled shelfs in there. That make sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back