Lintel for old patio door opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone help?
i'm putting on a slight extension, so where my patio doors are now it will be just open.
Can any tell me what lintel i need, its for cavity wall made from brick on both side and above is a 1st floor bedroom

Sponsored Links
Surely there is an existing lintel in there? If so and you are not altering the structure above it or widening the opening then why do you need a new one?

What you may need though is some cavity trays above it if you are extending through it.

Surely there is an existing lintel in there? If so and you are not altering the structure above it or widening the opening then why do you need a new one?

What you may need though is some cavity trays above it if you are extending through it.
Except that the chances are the new extension roof will sit on the existing lintel outer leaf.. so a new lintel or beam may be required.. but this would depend on what lintel is there already and what new loading you are adding.. etc etc.. best employ an engineer to do a quick calc

No i'm not altering the structure but the will be no frame work from patio doors to support, there is a row of vertilcal bricks currently above door but no sign of lintel. However the patio door is below the outer brick only.
what do you think?

Sponsored Links
What can be seen in the head of the reveal on the outer side? Do you see anything or is it covered with render or something?

Also what age is your house. Roughly even

What can be seen in the head of the reveal on the outer side? Do you see anything or is it covered with render or something?

Also what age is your house. Roughly even

House was built in th 1960's, what i can see out side is normal bricks but directly just above the patio door there is a course of bricks running vertically.

It was common in the 60's to build the external skin on top of the timber frames without a lintel. There would be one for the inside skin.
Bricktor could be used for the first 3 courses above the frame(sometimes forgotten), or a soldier course over the frame. If the inner concrete lintel was cast insitu they may have put ties from the joints into the concrete.
Either way as you are taking out the frame and possibly putting some extra weight on the wall Static's advice should be taken.
Remember that when timber frames have been replaced with plastic in the past the brickwork has often dropped, especially with large frames, so it shows that the timber frames are important to the structure.

I would like to do a similar job in my 1936 bungalow. I would like to remove the old 5ft patio door and extend the opening by 2ft, leaving a 7ft opening. Could anyone advice me of lintel usage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back