1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Lintel Installation 1st Floor Window

Discussion in 'Building' started by paul_v, 15 Jun 2018.

1. paul_v

paul_v

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello Chaps,

Looking to replace the bathroom window on first floor, gable end but there is no lintel currently and the 1st course of bricks above shows signs of dropping. My problem is the distance from the ground to above the window where i need to install the props/strongboys is about 5.3m. The longest acro i can get is about 4.8m.

I feel like I'm missing a trick here, how is this job normally done when it's beyond the reach of acro props? Ill be working of a scaffold tower so don't want to run the props off that and stacking concrete blocks under the props sounds wrong too.

I have done this before on ground floor windows and had it signed off by BC so its not a problem doing the job just the height required.

Thanks
    Paul

2. Sponsored Links
  3. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Possibly by using prop inside, spreading load with scaffold boards.

Blup

4. Ian H

Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How wide is the window? I bet if it's narrow some people wouldn't prop it at all.

5. paul_v

paul_v

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Window is about 1.5m wide. There is a concrete lintel on the inner leaf so its just the outer leaf I'm working on.

6. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    1.5m wide opening is about on the limit (propping wise) but will depend upon where it is situated in the gable end.

A gable end, particularly near the top, is the least favourable and the most vulnerable part of a building to tamper with, due to lack of self arching and the added headache of possible purlins etc.

Here's us attempting a large opening in a vulnerable part of a gable complete with doubled up acros (stacked on top of each other) and needles....

Last edited: 15 Jun 2018
  7. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry about the blurry pictures but here is the size of the finished opening. We fitted a Catnic 90/100 cavity lintel to the opening...…

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links