Replacing windows with no lintel above

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing wooden windows with upvc, there are no lintels above.
I intend to install lintels but am not quite sure about propping, I will be using Acrows and strong boys but am worried about the weight when installing the lintels on the first floor, will a timber plate across the floor be sufficient? or will I need to prop the downstairs ceiling as well.

Sponsored Links
it doesn't hurt to support the ceiling below. In most cases you wouldn't have to do this. But if in doubt!!!

The correct way is to support the ceiling, and if there is a suspended timber floor on the ground you are supposed to go down to the oversite concrete, or solid ground if there isn't one.
All the firms I've worked for in the past have done it this way, but like with many jobs people can take shortcuts and still get away with it.
If you are in any doubt it's usually better to do the job properly.

Propping a window head ain't no hill o' beans.

The weight could be spread across the joists by means of a scaffold board or chunky plank of wood. So long as you stick close to the joist end bearing then deflection will be minimal.

Sponsored Links
If these windows are just below the soffit with little brickwork above, then its worth just removing the brickwork instead of messing about proping and making good

As above if there are only a couple of courses then you will have to be careful anyway so might be worth removing and making good after.

Im sure though this wont look the best from outside but would answer the question of how much temp works loading you have. If in any doubt about the bearing capacity of the floor though and the load your going to apply. I would through prop.

If you have any temps work lads or structural engineers give them a shout its a two min job to answer with some details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back