Knocking through mid floor landing wall to build additional stairs to a planned extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Excuse me if this request for advice is beyond silly as my knowledge of structural works is low at the moment.

I am at the planning stage of building a two storey side extension. Before engaging SE I wanted to double check if anyone has experience on knocking down part of the walls (assume load-bearing?) around staircase to make space for new stairs to the 1st floor of the planned extension.

The idea is to knock through as much as possible height wise so that the general feel of the staircase is maintained and build about 7 steps to a landing that would lead through what is currently an existing en suite bathroom of a master bedroom to the planned extensions 1st floor area where new bedroom and bathroom will be. This will mean the bathroom will be replaced by a landing as attached.

Would it be possible to use set acrow props to support the stairs and then another set of acrow props from the middle landing up to support the wall if load bearing or I am talking complete nonsense and it is not possible. If however it is possible how high I could knock the opening through to make it look more like extended staircase and place the lintel above?

I wonder if it is at all possible from the structural and economical point of view. Let me know what are your thoughts.

Attachments

• stairs from 1st floor landing 2 with indication of the new opening for new stairs.jpeg
    stairs from 1st floor landing 2 with indication of the new opening for new stairs.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 47
  • stairs from 2nd mid level landing with indication of new opening.jpeg
    stairs from 2nd mid level landing with indication of new opening.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 43
  • stairs from ground floor.jpeg
    stairs from ground floor.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 44
  • first floor plan with indication of the new opening for new stairs.png
    first floor plan with indication of the new opening for new stairs.png
    546 KB · Views: 43
  • proposed first floor plan.png
    proposed first floor plan.png
    469.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Put the lintel in first before removing the wall. Start cutting the slot and you should find the wall self supports. Use saws if possible to cut the joints and minimise banging with a hammer.

Otherwise yes your plan is OK regarding supports.

Perhaps level with that existing widow for the level? Too high will make the opening look narrower than it is, and may look odd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back