Stair riser - structural?

Hah, yes. I looked at it, and immediate thought was 1.0mm electrical flex. But we warned you there's be a bit of flexing Mike, and said you'd need to support it at the back after the floor was down, so why are you worrying; it's just going as predicted, so man up, and carry on.

Sponsored Links
the post isn't that structural
(it's holds the string up which holds one side of most of the stairs up)
<deflection is expected>so man up, and carry on
your advice is normally very good, but in terms of stairs, be sure you have a complete understanding when encouraging posters which part to chop. especially on the bottom step, that is the only thing supporting the tread on the outside, as there's only one string.

(it's holds the string up which holds one side of most of the stairs up)

your advice is normally very good, but in terms of stairs, be sure you have a complete understanding when encouraging posters which part to chop. especially on the bottom step, that is the only thing supporting the tread on the outside, as there's only one string.
plus 1

i must admit i had misunderstood it as wynders at the bottom hence my suggestion to see if" the bottom step was loose " rather than support from behind :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
your advice is normally very good, but in terms of stairs, be sure you have a complete understanding when encouraging posters which part to chop. especially on the bottom step, that is the only thing supporting the tread on the outside, as there's only one string

If you'd read the earlier posts, you'd have seen that I initially gave that advice, but after I advised the OP to check the bottom tread, he came back and said that it was just made of plywood, and was loose, so that's where we've been working from.

If you'd read the earlier posts, you'd have seen that I initially gave that advice, but after I advised the OP to check the bottom tread, he came back and said that it was just made of plywood, and was loose, so that's where we've been working from.
Yes understood, not having a go, just thought the whole "man up" thing was not appropriate or helpful for the situation as it'd ended up.

Several of us had already told him what he'd come across, and how to deal with it,so it was really just a light hearted way of telling to stick with it,and he'd achieve what he wanted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back