Stairs Structure

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are replacing the treads and risers on our enclosed stairway. At this point the old treads and risers have been removed leaving the initial bare stairs. I have two questions.

1. NEW STAIRTREADS - We want our stairs to match our living rooms Armstrong Grand Canyon Hickory Engineered Hardwood flooring. The flooring is 3/8" thick. Matching Armstrong stair nose is to be used on the treads.
QUESTION: In your opinion, is it okay to install the described treads over bare stair treads?

2. I am looking at new precut and finished risers. The risers are 0.3437 thick. According to the decription these risers are designed to be installed over existing risers.
QUESTION: In your opinion, is it okay to install the described risers over the bare stair risers?

Here is a photo of the bare stairs.
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I could say a number of things about your stairs but what you need is a professional carpenter to have a look on site.

You cannot just add nosings to treads - all stair calculations are matters of great safety importance - rise and runs must fit the Code formula's.

I could say a number of things about your stairs but what you need is a professional carpenter to have a look on site.

You cannot just add nosings to treads - all stair calculations are matters of great safety importance - rise and runs must fit the Code formula's.
A stair professional has inspected the stairs after stuctual repairs were made. The new stair treads with noses are designed and installed to meet building codes. Thank your for your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back