Recover flat roof - options and finding a firm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

It seems the crazy rain last night was the final straw for my quite crap and old felt roof, so I need this replaced...

I was going to go for fibreglass until I read some thread on here about loud noise and cracking. Am I best to go with traditional felt? Is there anything to make rubber look less, well, like an inner tube?!

Lastly, I've looked around for 'firms' who do this as I quite like the idea of a lantern or skylight etc, but there doesn't seem to be many good ones!

I don't have any family or friends who can recommend a roofer or firm, so was looki looking to checkatrade and trusted trader, but quite a few blogs and what not suggested these sites aren't up to much cop really.

Oh, I'm in Hornchurch, Essex, should anyone have any recommendations, or indeed, places to swerve!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
until the felts stripped you wont now the state of the roof deck an joisting etc.
if your striping then go the full yard - if necesary rebuild a warm roof to good falls.
i dont now whats best for your roof material - others on here will now better thanme.

the trusted trader an similar sites obviously have some good people on them but i think most are chancers doin it for beer money.

GRP is fine if its done properly

EPDM is rubber its available in 1 colour :ROFLMAO:

So this noise thing which is in another thread on here, that's just bad luck and very rare then?

Think I'm tossing up between fibreglass and felt at the moment.

Guessing I'll just look at the checkatrade type places for those with the most reviews or most established :/

Sponsored Links
Oh and what's this warm roof cold roof stuff? I don't fully get that, or actually, at all...!

Definitely look at EDPM, it's neater, quicker to install and longer-lasting.

A cold roof has the insulation below the deck, and requires a ventilated space between insulation and deck, to disperse any moisture. A warm deck has all the insulation above the deck, normally covered with a second layer of OSB, then the covering.

So how can I tell what I have now?! There's ventilation for the boiler up there but nothing else.

Yeah I was looking at rubber, an interesting option but not overly nice looking, will see what my partner thinks of it, she probably won't bothered as long as we sort it pronto!

Think the noise of fibreglass puts me off, and it seems quite a few people have complaints on it.

Flip side some saying that felt has improved a lot etc...

Guess I need to find some blokes to come round and quote.

Thanks

It's only dark grey (EPDM) vs light grey (glass fibre). Or grey/green/rotten in a few years (felt). How much time do you spend looking at the top of a flat roof anyway? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back