Redland Regent Tiles - Leaking Roof near velux

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an extension with a pitched roof which was completed back in July 09. The roof has been great with no problems until a recent weeks terrential rain i have noticed some wet spots on the ceiling on the corners of the Velux Windows. It had rained before sometimes quite heavy but its only now i have noticed this. The pitched rood has 2 velux windows one on each side and the other is fine.

I believe the correct flashing kit ws used and a descent membrane laid before battens and tiles. The tiles look fine with no cracks or areas where the leaks could come from and the roof pitche exceeds the 12 degrees specified by Redland.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Ian

Sponsored Links
get the builder back.

there is always a suspect area in each corner where the felt is cut to accomodate the velux window.ive seen some chippys leave these areas in aright state.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for the comments so far. The pitch on the roof i believe to be about 30 degrees.

I have had a look further up the roof and cant see any broken tiles or gaps where the water could get in and all the tiles look tightly locked. There is definately no pipes running through the roof so its a mystery. The second velux does'nt see to have any issues so believe maybe the roof membrnae was cut too short on the corners or the velux flashing kit is not fixed correctly.

I have spoke to the builder and he said he would come back and take some tiles out to look but 2 weeks later he still has'nt been back and the roofs getting worse.

Its been a while but just wanted to advise that i had a good roofer come round and fix the issues on the extension roof that my builder left.

The leaking velux windows where caused by insufficient pointing on the ridge tiles. Although it looked ok to me the roofer said the cement mix was also a little weak.

I would say what was happening was the water was coming in the ridge and then running down the felt where it was leaking at the first exit which was the velux corners.

this was fixed about 4 months ago and no leaks showing now after re-paint so would say resolved. Just wanted to let you all know. thanks to all but looks like datarebal was right!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back