Redring expressions shower fault.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please do not duplicate your threads
Hi All

We moved into this property in 2014 and in doing so, inherited a Redring Expressions 500s 8.5kw electric shower.

We were told by the vendors that the shower was 2 years old when they sold the house, so it would be around five years old as of now, if the information they gave us then was accurate. Which is no age at all for an electric shower to develop a fault, in my limited experience.

As of recently the length of time between turning the shower on until the flow reduces and the temperature stabilises has gone from just a second or two to about half a minute (lest that not be clear, when you hit the On switch the shower comes on with the full force of mains pressure, remains cold for a short period then the flow reduces and the shower stabilises at the preset temperature).

Once it's up and running, the temperature remains stable and the shower is fine, and the above problem is still intermittent. My concern is that we're wasting water waiting for the temperature to stabilise, so I wanted to ask whether an economical repair to return the appliance to rapid start-up is feasible.

If not, I'll probably replace the whole unit rather than continue wasting water unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

Next question is, with what? I've looked at the following showers as potential replacements:

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/produ...gle_shopping&gclid=CJfGqa3_gNQCFYpsGwods9kILg

https://www.electrical-showroom.co....shower-8-5kw?gclid=CJyqzaiAgdQCFU63Gwod5FAP6Q

http://www.diy.com/departments/trit...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJ798Y_MqdMCFfUR0wodcQwFTw

I wouldn't rule out buying another Redring as a straight swap, but I've heard good things about the Triton easi-fit, particularly about how easy it is to fit. Any other recommendations? Budget round the 100 quid mark, as above.

hardest thing when swapping a shower is pipe and cable limitations ,the triton easi fit gives a lot of scope ,I have fitted quite a few , and they are an easy fit.my first choice would always be like for like if the customer was happy with what they had ,and were still available.

Sponsored Links
hardest thing when swapping a shower is pipe and cable limitations ,the triton easi fit gives a lot of scope ,I have fitted quite a few , and they are an easy fit.my first choice would always be like for like if the customer was happy with what they had ,and were still available.

+1

BTW: I had a shish kebab last night, with some particularly hot chilli sauce, I find that I too, now have a red ring expression and would certainly like to change it for something else o_O

Thanks for the on topic posts.

Having scoffed a hot-sauced chimichanga myself last night, I have some sympathy with the off topic comment also. ;0).

The Expressions 500s that I have is no longer available (you can still find it online but its always marked "out of stock"), and I chose the Redring versions above in the belief that "like for like" would make fitting easier.

But yes, I've heard great things about the Triton and that's my preferred option right now.

Just ordered one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-t80-easi-fit-manual-electric-shower-white-8-5kw/36222

The primarily good reviews include a number of folks who have fitted this shower and describe themselves as "amateurs", and "DIY", just like little me.

Quite looking forward to having a go at this, my only real anxiety being that I've come across a number of bodges whilst doing maintenance/repairs in this house, and I'm therefore hoping that when I open up the old Redring I don't find another one.

how about taking a pic now before you start ? we can maybe give some advice on potential snags .before taking cover off turn off electric supply to shower .nowt worse than starting a job and finding you don't have something you need ,forewarned is forearmed !

Excellent idea, Terry.

I'll be collecting the shower tomorrow, but will take a picture of the current installation and post it on here before I make a start.

Brought the new shower home today.

Pics to come when I've got the cover off the old one (one of the front cover fixing screws is slightly fouled by the cable/ pipe trunking). The Triton instructions talk about using a copper compression fitting and olive to connect incoming 15mm copper to the plastic water inlet inside the shower, and although I don't have the instructions to hand, I'm pretty sure they stipulate no sealant to be used on the connection.

Does that really make for a reliable joint? I tend to apply tape or Fernox LSX when using compression fittings.

not needed ,either of them. but you will need :- drill and bits for drilling tiles and wall behind if masonry,2 spanners preferably adjustable, screwdrivers and protection for bath or shower tray that you stand on !!! T

Thanks for that; will leave the sealant and tape in its box. ;0)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back