Would a more expensive shower provide better flow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into this property in July and inherited a Redring Expressions 5005 electric shower.

During the remaining warm months the shower pressure was fine, but once the weather became cold and we had to turn up the shower temperature valve, the water delivery became pretty poor. OK, we've been spoilt because we had a thermostatic shower in our previous home which was fed directly from a combi and delivered a positive deluge of luvverly hot water all year round, but this thing is really struggling to provide an adequate flow.

Question is, in winter, would a different electric shower, perhaps one with a higher power rating, be able to deliver a better flow at the same water temperatures as this one?

Incidentally, our mains water pressure is very good.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Electric showers willalways be pants.

Higher kW means improvement in flow (nopt pressure- don't confuse the two).

However, the supply cable may not be up to a bigger unit.

You'd be better off filling a bucket IMHO.

Ok, that's helpful (though not the "bucket" bit).

I think better flow is what I'm after, though maybe my post gave the impression that I meant "pressure".

We inherited the electric shower and I wish we hadn't, but if I can fit something to improve the situation, something that can be swapped over with a minimum of fuss and expense, it makes sense.

I'll bear your comments about the cable in mind, and thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately we don't have a combi, so the supply of hot water is limited to the contents of the cylinder. Otherwise yes, it would probably have been amongst my first considered options.

The 'Redring Expressions 5005' comes in a range of sizes from 7 to 10 kW. If you have the 7 kW version you will notice a significant difference by upgrading to a 10 kW. If you are happy with the existing showers summer performance, then a couple of kW's extra should give you the same performance in the winter when the incoming water is cooler.

As an alternative, I have a twin impeller pump (aka power-shower) connected to the hot water cylinder, which provides plenty of flow and pressure, and we've never run out of hot water, even with four of us showering immediately after each other. If your heating system is up to its job it should be able to reheat the cylinder quickly.

An added advantage is that in the event of a boiler breakdown, you still can heat the water with an immersion heater. The only downside is that the pump is audible and depending upon its location, may be a problem for anyone sleeping if you have any early risers in your home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back