Reducing conifer spread

B91

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several old conifers lining our drive but they have spread with age and are now obstructing access, the more so after the snowfalls of this last winter. I'm trying to avoid removing the lower branches and hoping I can pull them in and so widen the drive by using straps of some sort. Also got TPOs to contend with.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Individual straps to main branches and then pulled back to the main trunk should help if you can manage to conceal the straps with foliage.
Ultimately you may need to gently trim every few months so you don't have a sudden change in their appearance.
You do realise a TPO doesn't just mean you can't cut it down don't you? It also means you should take reasonable care to try and ensure the trees good health and survival. This in turn may mean you should cut back to prevent undue strain on the main trunk. Have a chat with an arborist to see if they can advise you what you can and can't do.

Thanks for the advice. The physical process of pushing or pulling large heavy branches inward and strapping them is quite a challenge in itself. Seems to me that to get a satisfactory result the branches need to be pulled in with some sort of winch arrangement before putting the straps in place. And the straps themselves need a locking arrangement - granny knots wont do the job.

Sponsored Links
If the spread causes a nuisance this may be a valid TPO reason for cutting them back. Best advice is to speak to a professional arboriculturalist as they will likely have good relations with councils tree officers.

Many common garden conifers lose their green foliage if cut back i.e an ugly brown so consider that as well even if just tying back.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back