Reducing street noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy all

I'm lightish sleeper. I live on an estate so traffic is generally low....which means you notice it more early in the morning when people start getting into their cars at 6am (my alarm doesn't have to be set that early!!).

I am wondering if/how I might go and reducing this noise? But of course, the cheap option!

I thought about some foam attached to a board... But I've read that foam soundproofing isn't about keeping noise out, but echo.

Anyone got a y suggestions without have to spend £100s on new curtains that probably won't work

The window recess is H-100cm, W-230cm

Sponsored Links
Not sure how cheap it would be, however there are companies that supply diy fit secondary glazing.

Cheapest option I can think of.

1677011777851.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Airborne noise you really want to add mass - e.g. double layer plasterboard or acoustic board

Windows will likely be a weak point - check seals, and though not cheap consider acoustic glazing

Don't overlook the ceiling, as I noticed this was a big source of noise on a recent renovation

Window Shutters - either external or internal. Of course such would need to be solid. Had them on the Bedroom windows when I worked nights and lived in central Cambridge.

Very heavy curtains? Some noise cancelling earphones can be worn whilst asleep and the good ones are the work of the devil with regards to noise suppression.

You could friction fit a 3" thick piece of foam to the inside of the window reveal.
Plus doubles up as a camping mattress!

If I remember rightly, secondary glazing at about 40mm back from the window is the best distance for sound reduction.

I’d go for quality secondary glazing and a big gap.
My family home had metal window frames and good secondary glazing that was replaced eventually with double glazing.
We should have kept the secondary as well.

I have double glazing and have considered fitting secondary as well. The road is moderately quiet but gets busy at rush hour as everyone arrives/departs and pizza bikes are bloody annoying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back