Refelt leaking section

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Screenshot from 2022-09-19 19-53-57.png

HI Guys,

I am going to perform some repair work on a joint roof between me and the neighbour.
He's been complaining that its been leaking on his side. I have attached an image of the extensions, and the suspected leak area. The leak area is suspected of being a particular section about 1-2 metres rather than the entire run. The extension is about 30 years old. There is no flashing on his side. The roofers felted all the way up to the gutters

My suspicions are as follows:
1. it could be the guttering screws. The install is about 30 years old and it could be water is getting into the screw holes and finding it's way into his property.
2. It could also be the strip of felt joining our roof to the wall. The felt is mostly in good condition but it seems when the felt drapes over the roof onto the wall, a small section of felt may have some pinhole ruptures that are letting water through. I did a repair 5 years ago in a small section and that fixed a leak in the same area.

My plan is to remove the gutters and refelt the entire corner (which is about 8 metres long). By refelt I mean to felt over the existing felt with some torch over felt. Taking it off may introduce other issues. I am also questioning whether a should keep the gutters since they may introduce leaks (as the felt will need to be pierced).

I am looking for someone to critique my plan and provide unknowns I may have not considered.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back