Leaking flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve noticed a leak in my plasterboard ceiling. I have a flat roof above this which has a felt roof. There is also a join in this felt roof which is where a new section of felt roof was put in during the extension. I recall that a underlayer of felt was used and there was a decent overlap with the existing felt. It was torched on.

I suspect the issue is the joint where water may be seeping through. I was planning to get up on the roof and apply some sort of roof repair/bitumen to these joints and any other suspicious areas.

What product do you recommend given that it’s likely to be wet and also, are there any suggestions on my approach?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Had a similar problem due to the hot summer affecting our felt roof, most roofing firms were not interested in repairs they wanted to strip the roof and boards and replace, quotes came in in five figure sums.
I decided on a temporary repair, using roof and gutter sealant to fill cracks etc, flatten down using a spatula, then wideband flashband over the top again sealing edges with sealant then a coat of liquid roofing sealant,
we have had plenty of heavy rain over the last few weeks and no leaks so far.( so a good DIY Bodge up for less than a couple hundred quid )
I will probably give the roof another couple of coats of liquid roofing sealant in the spring, and will rethink re roofing in the future

Thanks @Bosswhite.
The stuff I've seen and read about the flashband and prier seems to suggest that the surface needs to be dry and moisture free. Correct?

I should have added that I am based in the north east of the UK where we rarely have dry weather, let alone in December!

Welcome any further thoughts.

Sponsored Links
I would still be tempted to fill in the cracks with roof sealant and cover with flash banding or roofing felt then apply Acrypol

Thanks @^woody^. Should I apply 1 or 2 coats?
I think its one. Whatever the tin says.

It's like blancmange anyway, so coats are difficult. I use the "slap it on" method.

Use a 4" brush but not a good one with soft bristles as it makes spreading difficult. A cheap one with stifff bristles, or one made for fence paint or suchlike.

Make sure the surface is clean of all moss and grit and debris. It does not matter if its damp.

I used Acrypol last year and with all the rain we have had recently, I am assuming that it solved the issue. Thanks for the suggestion.
should I be inspecting/topping this up each year?

I've painted the whole ceiling since then and would hate a repeat of this problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back