refilling a system-is it difficult, airlocks, etc??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have heard it is difficult to refill a system if drained down, due to air locks getting into the system/pipework, etc. is this true and how can it be avoided? I am replacing my immersion heater this weekend (hopefully)! and obviously need to drain down a lot of my hot water cylinder in order to do this. But I am a bit worried about getting airlocks into my system when refilling! any tips would be useful! ???

out of interest, 6 months ago, a plumber who i called come round and fitted a new Grundfos pump to my heating system. (my hot water/heating started to take longer and longer to heat up and he said it was due to my pump packing up gradually). this must have been the casde as it is much better again since and i have no complaints with it. he charged me in total 246 pounds sterling. was this a fair price?? it only took him about an hour and a half to complete.

Sponsored Links
if immersion is in top of cylinder then its just turn off feed to cylinder, open hot taps and wait till they stop running, (just to empty pipes and confirm valve works). couple of old towels to soak up spillage, then remove old and fit new. job done.

as for pump costing £246, if he drained system and changed valves then he is a tad more expensive than BG. but if you're happy with the job and cost it must be a fair price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back