Refurb kitchen/living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there. I am a newbie to this site as I happened to be browsing the web today. I need to get some advice on planning/timing.

1. I intend to fit in a new kitchen. My kitchen is an L-shape kitchen/diner with a small set of units. I feel the units may be insufficient for space esp there is no place for a fridge.
To explain my ktichen, as you enter, there is a bit of space on the left for a small dining table, and currently the kitchen units are on the right. The kitchen has a door on the right, which leads to the garden.I am considering levelling the kitchen (horizontally) to be a rectangle room and shift the door on the left. This would mean creating a door through the wall. This would leave me with ample space to fit a new kitchen. The kitchen now measures: Kitchen 13'7x 8'6" (incl units) Dining Area 7'8x6'6.
Would anyone be able to advise if I would need planning permission for this?The extension would probably mean extending 2 meters in length and 2.5 metres in width tops.
2. I want to fit floor tiles in the kitchen. The diner area has laminate floor while the kitchen area has vinyl. Should I fit in floor tiles first or get the units fitted? Which tiles are the best for easy maintenance and look clean? I have a 1 year old baby so what should I go for esp if she will be crawling around the place?
3. The walls in the house have artek all over which I detest. In what order shall I start my work?

Sorry if I sound really silly :confused: but this is my/hubby's first attempt at diy. I dont know if I should just move in and then get the work done as I certainly dont want to end up losing more money trying to do all in one go? We intend not to do all the work ourselves but have to restrict ourselves due to a tight budget.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I would imagine you'd need planning permission, as you would be extending the square footage of your house. My parents extended their kitchen by about 2.5 metres into the garden, and they definitely had to have planning permission.

For the kitchen floor - I'd do the tiles on the floor before fitting the units, otherwise your kickboards would be sitting in a dip next to the tiles and it might look a bit odd, not to mention it would be tricky if you ever decided to change a unit round, or you needed to remove a kickboard or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back