Refurbishing damp kitchen and bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

How would you line the inside walls of an old brick kitchen/bathroom extension that's seriously damp? The rooms have been gutted but there's no way we can start putting in new cabinets given the condition of the walls. More details below...

Just purchased our first house. 1890s mid-terrace, two-up-two-down with a brick extension at the back housing a kitchen on the ground floor and a bathroom above. We gutted the kitchen and bathroom as everything was pretty grotty. Our plan was to inject a DPC around the base of the extension and tank the floor, as suggested by our survey, and install a new kitchen a bathroom. However the condition of the walls where the kitchen cabinets and the bath used to be is disturbing: very damp downstairs with some of the bricks crumbling or soft; upstairs, where the bath was, the brick wall is bulging slightly, there are big gaps between the crumbling bricks, and it seems pretty damp too.

From reading here and elsewhere I suspect the render on the outside of the extension (and possibly the rest of the stone house) is concrete and that is what's keeping the walls damp. The render has cracked in places so it's probably letting water into the wall but not back out again, or at least the concrete is preventing the walls from drying out.

I've hacked away at the inside and uncovered some of the brickwork. There used to be a window which has been blocked up using concrete blocks (I think) and the internal render on top of that area is really sticky and hard to remove. One of the walls appears to be made of a mix of brick and rubble held together with a couple of inches of concrete on the inside so I'm reluctant to remove too much of that. The bathroom is generally in better shape but that's mostly because the walls are entirely tiled and underneath is an inch or two of concrete. I'd rather not take that off if I don't have to.

What options do we have? We need to do something to the inside of the damp walls before fitting kitchen and bathroom. Plastering on damp walls seems like a bad idea. Putting cement render back could make things worse. Maybe "dry"lining? With vents at the top and bottom of the walls to let the moisture back outside? I suppose we should insulate somehow but the rooms are already quite small. I'd love to knock it all down and start over but financially that's not really an option :(

We were looking forward to our new project but this part is a bit overwhelming. Any ideas welcome.

Sponsored Links
Update: there is actually some kind of pre-existing DPC although it only seems to run through one of the walls, not easy to follow elsewhere. Some kind of rubbery black thing, not slate as far as I can tell. The walls have also dried out substantially in the past week and I'm feeling more confident. Just saw some advice on here to use steel framing, insulate with fiber glass or wool, and plasterboard over the top, leaving open to the ceiling and floor for ventilation.

I've taken the outside render off between ground level and the existing DPC. Hopefully, this will help too. Some areas, especially on the corners or where stone joins brick, will need patching up as large chunks have fallen out. I'm not sure if lime mortar would protect and somehow reinforce those parts or if I need to revert to cement. A bit more research is needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back