Regular boiler switch to combi - initial advice

You may find that having an old inefficient boiler will lower the property price within it's bracket rather than a new efficient boiler will increase it. Anyone purchasing will take into consideration that a new boiler will be needed therefore drop the price to reflect that. Adding a modern condensing boiler will certainly maximise value but not increase it per sé.

If high HW usage is a requirement and further extension of the house is possible/probable with the obvious increase in HW demand, then the better alternative, if the mains cold water can support it, would be to provide high capacity, high recovery stored hot water, coupled with a correctly sized efficient heating system. That can also be a very positive selling point, again maximising the property value towards the upper part of the price bracket.

Sponsored Links
If high HW usage is a requirement and further extension of the house is possible/probable with the obvious increase in HW demand, then the better alternative, if the mains cold water can support it, would be to provide high capacity, high recovery stored hot water, coupled with a correctly sized efficient heating system. That can also be a very positive selling point, again maximising the property value towards the upper part of the price bracket.

I moderate that with the view that a buyer may want to put their own 'stamp' on a property they have bought for their own usage. It's a waste of resource to install something, to then have a new buyer want to rip it all out again, because it doesn't suite their needs.

I read, from a few guides, that adding a modern combi boiler to a property can add £8,000.00 to its price.
Utter nonsense. A broken or ancient boiler might put buyers off, but there is no way anyone would pay extra for a property just because it had a more recent one.

when you take into account the efficiency and space that they free up
Combi boilers are not more efficient than other types. Most losses are from the pipework, as in the hot water that's left in the pipes when you turn the hot tap off.
A hot water cylinder does have some losses, but with a modern cylinder they are tiny.
Combi boilers also have losses from the hot water left inside the boiler every time a hot tap is used.

If the space used by a cylinder is really a problem, locate the cylinder elsewhere such as in the loft, garage, basement, utility room or whatever else. Although traditionally located in a cupboard upstairs, there is no reason why they can't go in other places.

we seem to use a lot of hot water all at the same time,
No use having a combi boiler then - they are primarily designed for one outlet at a time.

No use having a combi boiler then - they are primarily designed for one outlet at a time.

I think maybe he/she is suggesting they are using the entire contents of the cylinder of hot, rather than all the taps on at the same time.

Sponsored Links
I think maybe he/she is suggesting they are using the entire contents of the cylinder of hot
If true, then they need to have the boiler on and heating the cylinder while they are using the hot water.
If that's still not sufficient, then a larger cylinder and/or one with a higher recovery rate is required.

Utter nonsense. A broken or ancient boiler might put buyers off, but there is no way anyone would pay extra for a property just because it had a more recent one.

Combi boilers are not more efficient than other types. Most losses are from the pipework, as in the hot water that's left in the pipes when you turn the hot tap off.
A hot water cylinder does have some losses, but with a modern cylinder they are tiny.
Combi boilers also have losses from the hot water left inside the boiler every time a hot tap is used.

If the space used by a cylinder is really a problem, locate the cylinder elsewhere such as in the loft, garage, basement, utility room or whatever else. Although traditionally located in a cupboard upstairs, there is no reason why they can't go in other places.

To be honest, I am not entirely sure I understand how home improvements and value increases work in general.

Just looked at a random website and it suggests that a £20,000.00 loft conversion can add £45,000.00 to the property value.

Where has the extra £25,000.00 come from - does this cover the inconvenience of getting the work done in the first place?

Adding a bedroom would be expected to increase the value of a property. 4 bedroom houses cost more than 3 bedroom houses.

Some improvements may also increase the appeal of the property, a nice bathroom, a nice kitchen, a nice garden etc. These things don't necessarily increase the value of the property but may make it sell faster.

Most people don't choose properties by the type of boiler installed, many won't even notice. If it is just changing an old boiler for a new one £3k will probably get the job done. On a £250k house that is a drop in the ocean.

Extra rooms add value. Things done to suit your personal taste don't usually add value but might reduce the value if your tastes are particularly strange.

Really interesting point.

I hadn't really thought about improvements increasing sale time, rather than increasing monetary value.

So, as a general rule, would you say that it is quite difficult to get a net gain from developing a property - i.e. 4 bedroom houses costs more money than 3 bedroom houses but, as the owner, you have to pay for that improvement in the first place?

As you have seen, some improvements add more value than their cost.

Some of it depends on the state of the property before you start any improvements. If the kitchen doors are hanging off and the worktops are worn out then it might make financial sense to put in a plain simple kitchen, buyers expect a certain standard. If the kitchen is presentable then your taste in kitchen might be different to your buyer's taste and they will replace the kitchen anyway. The house next door to me has been sold 3 times whilst I have lived here and every buyer has ripped out a perfectly acceptable kitchen to replace it with one to suit their taste. In one case the old units were only two years old.

Similar thoughts apply to bathrooms. Make it presentable but don't spend a fortune. You might like a free standing bath but your buyer might want a walk in shower.

You could get an estate agent round to value the property and while they are there ask if anything needs doing to make it more saleable or increase the value. They will know what the expectations and value ceilings are in your area.

So, as a general rule, would you say that it is quite difficult to get a net gain from developing a property - i.e. 4 bedroom houses costs more money than 3 bedroom houses but, as the owner, you have to pay for that improvement in the first place?

That BBC 1 morning program, where they follow from auction sales, to completion seems fairly honest - They assess, with the help of local estate agents, what is and is not worth doing to suit the local market. What is worth doing and will increase the value, depends on what buyers might want in that particular area. No point adding a fourth bedroom, in an area where people expect and want mostly 3 bedrooms.

Really sensible advice - thank you.

I am going to do just that and get some advice from estate agents in the area, before doing anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back